Sunday, August 01, 2010

Return of the Imac

We are now accessing the temporal floor (my time machine named after a brilliant mail that was sent out at the office, when we were moving floors. The whole thing was kind of scary, I wasn't sure how I would be able to exist, let alone work on a floor that only exists in time. Then again... it probably isn't much harder than working in a 27C granny's place adjusted office as is the case now) and have been for sometime. Maybe not the smartest idea to do the restore over wlan, but I guess it will manage sooner or later anyway. And a quite prayer goes out to the Protector of Apple Products and the patron saint of hard drives; please let this one have a long and prosperous life.

I was called "miss" at the apple store today, similar feeling as having to show ID at Systembolaget, maybe you are not too old after all. I don't like being called ma'am, or I do, but only at Indian restaurants, when it makes my mind drift away to a colonial house, sitting on the verandah sipping tea from fine china while the children play croquet on the lawn and I'm contemplating the next step for my rose garden. I should really get me some curry.

However, that will have to be some other day. The plan for today is mashed potatoes with pea/carrot/corn, red onion, feta cheese and some rosemary. Went shopping at Kinokuniya, they pack your bags, and ask how long time your frozen foods have to be outside, to add the right amount of dry ice before wrapping them up. I wonder if they would have done that in India, or there would probably be someone picking up the groceries for me, after all, tea drinking and garden planning need my undivided attention.

Neatly wrapped up, and notice the warning label. No, I will not eat the ice. I cannot help but wondering how long a Japanese person would survive in a warning sign free (or at least limited) environment, would they jump into rivers? Get caught in escalators? Have barbecues on 2x2 meters of grass outside the emperor's place? Climb fences and fall down into holes at construction sites? I'm kind of curious, but cannot get my head a round how to get myself that reference town that I need, or maybe I could design a smaller scale experiment to start with. Say 2 escalators, one with warnings and one without and compare number of accidents in them, should have a group of non-Japanese too since the warning-free escalator probably would have more accidents. Also, need to figure out how many people I need, in order to get relevant results. Or maybe what I really would like to know, is if too many warnings prevent a person from making a proper assessment of a situation and decision how to handle it. Then again, the reference town seems more fun, and less political correct.

No comments: