Sunday, April 29, 2007

Fröken Arons Känsla för Bröd



Have just finished reading Smilla's Sense of Snow and one though from it stuck today. You only have problems dealing with adversity if you haven't had enough of them. That you after a while will get used to it and it do not seem so bad anymore. I started thinking of this and recalled a documetary about a young girl that joined the Carmelite order, a very strickt order where members are expected to stay enclosed in the monastery for the rest of their life, and are only allowed visits from family a few times a year in a special room. The mother of the girl joining said something similar to what I read in Smilla, she said that in the begining she cried a lot, she felt like Marta (the daughter) had died, and now 5 years later she really haven't got over it, she just started to expect less from life.

Is this what happens after you dealt with adversity long enough? You get numb to it?

Lately I've got the feeling that I'm not sad enough that my friend has died, that it just feels like she is yet another person that I cared about that is slipping away from me. And I've seen it happen before and know I will adapt and find my way around it. I'm starting to suspect that they are right, that I have gotten used to it. Is learning to deal with this kind of stuff good? If so why does it feel like I have lost something precious, when I'm not completely shattered over what has happened?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think we will get over it. You just learn to live with it, simililar to a handicap. Some days it will hurt less, some day more, but we will never get rid of the hurt and pain.
Milan